The other table

I’ve been logging some hours finishing up the “other table”. This table is 1 1/4″ thick x 10 feet x 34″. My mother in law wanted something she could set up in the yard for dinner parties. The table will sit on two custom saw horses. I’ve built the top at this point and I’m currently working on a set of stiffening ribs for the bottom since the top is made up of individual boards with an attached bread board end.



Roorkhee chairs part 3

The next day I hung the legs from coat hangers on the side of the shop and sprayed them with zinnser spray able canned shellac. I gave them just two coats since the cut was pretty heavy. I let the shellac cure over night and then I used black briwax and steel wool to rub out the shellac. I think the result looks great! One happy mistake I discovered is instead of dyeing and then burnishing the leather edges I found the black briwax could do both in one step!





I realized after I took pictures that I still need to trim the stretchers a little and finish the ends but other that that the roorkhee chair is a wrap!

I think I will build another pair of chairs in cherry with canvas seats. I rough milled the lumber back when I milled the walnut for this chair. After sitting in the chair for a day or so I think some modifications might be in order. First, I am on the taller side (6′ 1″) and I have a long back for my height. I often found I wanted the back to be higher. Second, the height of the seat looks fine outdoors, but if you plan to use the chair indoors the seat height makes it look like toy furniture. And, third my wife asked if there was a way to lock the back so it didn’t pivot. I personally like the way it pivots but I don’t see why it wouldn’t be possible to make one that has a back that can be locked and unlocked. All in all I think this is a great project that is very forgiving. So if you are wanting to build one there really are no excuses.

Roorkhee chairs part 2

Picking up where I left off last time, I cut the rounded parts of the legs on the bandsaw and sanded them smooth and I drilled the 5/8″ mortise holes. I also made the back supports. I didn’t get any photos of those steps but they are pretty straight forward. Later I used the veritas conical tenon cutter to refine the tenons I had roughed in on the lathe. It’s important to make sure your tenons are all the same length.

It’s pretty straightforward. Just stop turning the cutter when the end of the tenon is right at the exit hole of the cutter. What’s a little harder is ensuring your reamed leg mortises are the same. I used blue painters tape on my reamer. The process for reaming the mortise holes is well documented around the web. But, in a nut shell you just put one of your stretchers in the hole and check for square, adjusting as necessary. With the tenons cut and mortises reamed I slapped the pieces together.


Now I could turn my attention towards the leather work. I got my rivets and leather tooling so I cut a scrap of leather and riveted it together. That was easy. I knew all along I was going to use a lacing system instead of buckles but after I set a few eyelets in my scrap leather I didn’t really care for the look. I had seen an image of a canvas roorkhee that used metal D loops and decided to use that method. I think it turned out looking great.

There isn’t a lot to say about the leather work. With so few elements to the leather and little visual distraction, clean work is a must. A mis-cut edge or rivets out of line will be obvious. I used a white pencil on the back of my leather and some dividers to ensure straight lines and even spacing. I will say the strap cutter Tandy leather sells will greatly improve the look of your edges and in my opinion is worth the $30 they charge for it.


The arm straps and leg belts can’t be attached until the wood bits are finished. I’m going to use a BLO, shellac, black wax schedule for this chair.

I’ve got one coat of oil on, once that cures I’ll spray some shellac and wax the chair.

Roorkhee chairs

Like a lot of folks, I’ve wanted to build a roorkhee since Chris schwarz at lost art press posted about them in 2012. But this seemed an almost impossibility since I didn’t own a lathe. Things changed when a month ago I joined fort houston. I have zero turning experience but I wasn’t about the let that stop me. After a brief (like 10 minute) intro I was set loose, armed with two easy wood turning tools. I turned one practice piece and then jumped in with both feet and chucked up my first walnut leg blank. I think the easy wood tools are a real enabler. I got results on my first project I wouldn’t have been able to achieve without them. I found the actual turning to be fun. I did struggle a bit reproducing the second, third and fourth legs with even consistent tapers. A light touch and a little time is really all it took to turn these chairs parts.

I also got my side of leather in. I was hoping to squeeze two chairs out of one side but that just wasn’t possible.

It should however be possible to get one chair and an ottoman or campaign stool out of one side. So far I’ve cut the leather pieces out using the patterns I made from 1/8″ hardboard. I am wait for my leather working tools and rivets to arrive.


The basque style table base is moving along. I got the base glued up and the first coat of red milk paint on it. I sub-out all my finishing to these little guys, they will literally work for peanut butter sandwiches.

20140402-064708.jpg I also picked up 75 board feet of 8/4″ cherry for the top. I’m letting it acclimate to my shop at the moment. I spent part of the day yesterday milling stock for three roorkhee chairs, so stay tuned!