I have to admit. I struggled with the angled braces. I had the table rendered in sketchup and so I had the angle the braces made with horizontal but sketchup’s resultant angle was WAY off. No big deal I thought, I’ll just clamp them in place and mark the angle right on the boards. This is were I had trouble. The problem is mainly due to the fact that the lower long stretcher is laid flat so it’s 4″ width is horizontal and the upper stretcher is oriented so it’s 2″ face is horizontal. Meaning if I just clamped the boards in place they would be canted 2″ inwards off vertical over ~25″.
The spacer has to be exactly sized or the resultant angle will be off by a large enough margin to produce a visible gap. There is no trick I discovered other than trial and error. I got the shoulder marked as closely as I could and moved forward to cutting the tenons. I figured after I cut the tenons I could trim the shoulders until I got a perfect fit.
The only point I feel could use some reinforcement is the sliding dovetail where the ends meet the top stretcher. I think it would be fairly easy to snap the dovetail off if a large force was applied to the end assembly. I’m somewhat confident this will be a non-issue once the top is attached but I think I still may make some triangular glue blocks to go in the corners at the intersection of the top stretcher and the ends. That more or less wraps up the major construction of the base. I plan to glue it together using liquid hide glue and paint it with black milk paint.
And now my a picture of my eldest Son helping saw tenons!