I scraped and sanded the handle and it’s more or less ready for finishing and managed to drill the bolt holes without a drill press. The saw plate holes were another story! I’ve never worked much with metal and the hardness of the 1095 spring steel amazed me. I burnt through a carbide tipped drill bit drilling just one hole. I ended up getting a Bosch masonry bit that managed to get through but still with a lot of effort. I was able to scavenge some saw bolts from some old cheap beater saws. Behold, it looks like a saw!
A buddy of mine found me a nice antique saw vice from an antique shop for $8 and tonight it was pressed into service. I used a Stanley 42w saw set to add some set and with two passes with a file the saw was set, sharp and ready to cut!